On the feast of St. Francis, October 4, 1908, the Carmel of the Infant Jesus was founded from the Carmel of Boston. After nine years in San Francisco, they finally transferred their monastery to the Santa Clara Valley (now known as Silicon Valley).
On Saturday, October 4, 2008, friends, family, benafactors, and the Carmelite family gathered around the Nuns to celebrate their 100th anniversary of foudation. Fr. Stephen Watson, O.C.D. our Definitor General from Rome, (and a member of our Province) presided at the Jubilee Liturgy. Over twenty Carmelite Fathers and Brothers, Jesuits, and Diocesan Priest were present in an overflowing chapel to celebrate with the Nuns. The year long celebration will continue until October 2009 and will close with a Liturgy presided by Bishop Patrick McGrath, bishop of the Diocese of San Jose.